Sunday 26 December 2010

Boxing clever on St. Stephen's Day

 As I wrote in the Christmas Day blog,  today was the last day of my 52 week training year which began on Monday December 29 2009.   As I managed 3 miles yesterday I was determined to at least give the leg a go and see if  the year's "streak" could be maintained.   The "least risk" plan would be to repeat the initial valley bottom 2 miler as Christams Day and then see how it felt.   A case of not being too ambitious or too adventurous and risking a set back again. 
 Getting out of the car at the Old Bridge in Ilkley a guy ran by and I must admit thinking I should be able to keep up with him and get have some company. But whilst he seemed to be just idly shuffling along he easily drifted away and was well out  of sight  as I turned after a mile.
 Consolation was that whilst the pace  was only moderate the discomfort was tolerable.  Reaching the Old Bridge I was able to run on and managed another couple of miles; making the last run of the year 4 miles.
Not quite the long Sunday run I would have liked to have finished the year but certainly suggesting that the sciatica will behave....... if I behave!
 After yesterday's run I had to use the inhaler as the temperature had closed the chest down somewhat. Slightly less cold today but no sign of a thaw.  These shots taken after today's run show the large stretches of the River Wharfe are still frozen..................

                                          A view from the Old Bridge Ilkley down stream....... 
The suspension bridge to Middleton Woods..........
View down stream from the suspension bridge..............
View up stream from the suspension bridge............
Not so good for the wildlife........

And finally,  ever thought why the day after Christmas Day, essentially St. Stephen's Day is called Boxing Day?  Let's just say if any of the local tradesman call today I have their Christmas "boxes" (tips) ready. None have called  so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment