Monday 15 March 2010

WRESTLING WITH MARATHON TRAINING !

 I think you have always to be open minded when it comes to running and marathon running in particular because there are so many more people prepared to tackle the 26.2 mile event and many of them come up with new and interesting ideas. Many in contrast to that which would seem logical.
 I was reading snippets of a marathonblog in one of the Sunday newspapers today.  Now whereas I would recommend reaching 20 miles by Christmas for a spring marathon and going on from there, this gentleman decided to start his London marathon training on February 15th 2010. Interesting when you consider he'd only done a few 10Ks previously
  Whereas I would have thought it sensible to enlist the help of an experienced marathon runner, interestingly he turned to an Olympic wrestler for help.  He describes how his marathon training "gets under way" with boxing (classes each week!) walking lunges,(?) push ups (that's a type of bra isn't it?) press ups (same thing?
body weight squats etc etc.
  All this is based on his advice that
 "Running does not only involve the legs, a strong core is essential especially in the marathon to keep the body upright (!) and eliminate inefficient movements, a strong and flexible upper body is also required as the arms help with propulsion and the faster and stronger the arm movement, the faster and stronger the legs stride"
   But just think what I could have achieved if I'd run fewer miles and done more sessions with a personal trainer who was a wrestler.    Don't get me wrong I'm not saying that upper body strength isn't  important in running but I feel the longer  the distance the less important it becomes. And certainly starting his "build up" in mid February, I think he has his priorities slightly wrong,  devoting large amounts of time to upper body strength and core stability.
 I've never been over 10 stone. I get banned fron beaches because my skeletal physique upsets children.
But it got me round in 2.25.   I will concede that a full time marathon runner running over 90 miles a week may well ADD some weights work but get the running sessions in as the priority.
 
Sunday brought with it a return to a period of windy weather and will have made the task harder for  all those marathon aspirants racing 20 milers throughout the country today. Well done to all but especially Sarah J.
http://theadventuresofrunningbear.blogspot.com/   whose 2:06 + takes her to the top of 2010 UK rankings!

I just settled for an out and back  9 on the canal accompanied by my dear wife on the bike.   Heading out into the wind in 39.42  I was pleased to come back 3 minutes faster.  Was it the wind or Pat's pacing?  Probably a combination.

Quite pleased with the week after that second half marathon in the month.  Mileage was lowered slightly to 45 but yesterday's track tempo run indicted that the recovery has been fairly satisfactory.

2 comments:

  1. I would never discount any theory and I am always willing to listen. I have to admit, before a visit to a physio I'd never heard of core strength and stability and it's importance for runners. I now believe there is more to running than legs, heart and lungs. If you can train your body(using core strength exercises) to run more efficient(which tends to be an upright position) you may find it takes less energy to propel yourself forward.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the kind mention T, doubt I'll get the change to reign for long with the quality performances over 20 this last weekend!

    There's no better training for running than running I reckon ;) I'm sure there are bits to tweak for injury prevention, good form and efficiency etc. but I wouldn't want core work or anything else to replace my daily run, or am I just a bit old skool too..? RB x

    ReplyDelete