Monday 1 March 2010

BEWARE THE RAYS OF MARCH !

   Allow me to record a moment in time.  It was 11.45 a.m.  I was back on the grass jogging a post race 4 miler at an average of 9.45 pace.  Turning a corner of the field I am facing north.  Suddenly I have the strongest urge .......to take my jacket off......the warmth on my back is quite penetrating.   It's March 1st!!
Spring has come.  I turn the next corner and I zip the jacket back up . A biting westerly wind reminds to be sensible: but it was nice whilst it lasted.........about a minute.

   In yesterday's race report I mentioned the native American runner  Billy Mills. If you haven't heard of him check out the climax of the film Running Brave on You Tube then check out the actual race also on YouTube (2 mins 15) which also shows the last lap of that 1964 Olympic 10000 metres.  Great stuff!
  There's a bit of talk about running films at the moment with the BBC doing a film about the Coe Ovett rivalry.   We all know Chariots of Fire of course.  I saw "Pre" one of the films about Steve Prefontaine. Other listed films are The Jericho Mile, The Games, Gallipoli,  Geordie,  Loneliness Of The Long Distance Runner (which I've seen)  Run! Lola! Run!  and Endurance about Haile Gebrselassie. 
            Any comments on these?  Any others not listed?

And finally....."Every Passion has its destiny" (Billy Mills)

No comments:

Post a Comment