Wednesday 1 September 2010

Bank Holiday Monday at Cartmel races

  With 60 miles banked in the 8 days leading up to the August bank holiday I was certainly due a low mileage day.  So, the plan for our 4th day in the Lake District  was to slot in an easy 4 miles on the trail before journeying down to CARTMEL village for the 3rd day of the Bank Holiday weekend race programme.  When I say "race" I should emphasis of the equine variety.
  With a fine day in prospect weather wise, the event drew massive crowds from  the north west particularly, judging by the accents  being picked up.   In the "course" area in the centre of the race circuit it was amazing to see the "paraphenalia" families and groups had brought with them to enjoy the day at the races.  Gazebos, barbeques, iceboxes, food hampers, folding chairs by the dozen and of course the obligatory crates of drink. 
Coach parties formed seated circles, each chair having the pocket for the can of their chosen beverage.  Not sure whether they were taking it in turns to "do a turn" in the centre of the ring. Very strange.  Pat and I in contrast went carrying only one bottle of isotonic drink and the camera!   I had one winner out of the 5 bets I placed; coming out just £3 down on the day!  Here are some of the horses I lost money on.................

 


No comments:

Post a Comment