Tuesday 23 November 2010

Saucony ProGrid Triumph 7....a design success?

 Tuesday.  Another chance to try out the Saucony Progrid Triumph 7 on a undulating steady 6 miler.  I've been using moderately supportive shoes of late. But I thought I would try this latest version of the
Saucony Triumph  as whilst it's "classed" as a neutral shoe and as such features no supporting wedge, the full length ProGrid and  midfoot support
device  create a good degree of stability and significantly reduce the flexibility which for me is no bad thing.
  In fact, many of today's neutral/ cushion shoes are no where near as flexible as shoes of this category in the past as so many of them feature similar midfoot support devices.
  With SRC( super rebound compound ) in the heel
and the Comfortride Sockliner the Triumph offers a well cushioned plush ride for runners of all weight but perhaps I am not feeling the full benefit of this as I have inserted the full length canting varus wedge from my Somnio shoe.  I've obviously added a little weight to what many would class as quite a heavy shoe already at 349gs but judging back Sunday's brisk 4 miler the weight certainly didn't seem to hold me back. The rearfoot to forefoot transition was smooth enough. I could however feel the benefit of the medial arch lock cradling the midfoot and with the lightweight breathable mesh upper and moisture wicking collar lining there's little danger of the foot overheating.
  The next time I wear them I'll take out the Somnio varus wedge to feel the real cushioning effect and report later on durability and longer term comfort.
  "Satisfactory" would be the best description for today's jaunt ; averaging under 9 for the 6 undulating miles with the last mile in 8.16.  A good maintenance run .....and a great deal drier underfoot than yesterday's
waterlogged trail run.

No comments:

Post a Comment