Friday 29 January 2010

THE GOOD, THE BAD.........AND THE NASTY

    With the interference of that irritataing white stuff, this week's training regime is the first real departure from the 2009 routine of 1 track session plus the long run.  Is that sufficient for my mature years or could I cope with  Tuesday hill reps  ........on the trail in the woods.....a Friday track session plus, hopefully, being able to cope with the Sunday run of at least 10 miles. Considering neither Wednesday nor Thursday were particularly easy did I feel GOOD today?  Welll, yes, OK, the 2 x 3k session went well in that I felt I was moving pretty fluidly....not quite Seb Coe but you know what I mean....and whilst I felt the odd twinge,there was no major trauma.  I planned 2 x3k  as a progression in trems of total distance from the 5k tempo track run last week but nevertheless anticipated  (hoped for!) a better average per lap as well.
    Regretably, the lap times in comparison were BAD.  Without boring you with the detail, I ran through 3k faster last week on the way to 5K faster than each of the efforts today and my normal acceleration through the session did not happen!  The average lap time was not significantly slower but enough to take the shine off the session.  Towards the end it was a touch dispiriting.  The reason?

I'm looking for an excuse now I hear you thinking!

   The NASTY!  I have no doubt that the lap times suffered because of a NASTY, biting north easterly wind which countered the otherwise splendour of the bright winter morning.   Very frustrating looking at the watch, but at least the effort was there.
   For £2.75 I had the whole of the track to myself today. the only distractions were in my head.  Not having anyone else to compete with shoulder to shoulder the mind drifts,  the concentration drifts and the pace drifts as the "style" deteriorates.   Quite a discipline............... but all good for the soul !  It has to be done. 
    I've run without the support of a group since I was given sessions to do by myself since the age of 14 in 1983. If we rely on others to motivate us what happens when the spoon feeding us is taken away?  Not so sweet.
   The afternoon was spent in the shop at Nelson.  Introducing some new FASTRAX lines and of course meeting some interesting customers.   Several ladies just starting out on their running "careers", keenly talking of 5.30 a.m runs!! races planned and weight to come off!   A mature gentleman desperately seeking supportive shoes just to go about his daily life.  A bright perky effervescent 12 year old young lady preparing to represent her town in next week's Lancashire Chamionships.  Let's hope she is still enthusiastic in 50 years time. 
                           I'm back for more tomorrow..................bring it on!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment