Monday 4 January 2010

DECLINE & FALL?


"IN RUNNING, AT LEAST, THE GREATEST TRIUMPH IS  TO DECAY AT A SLOWER      RATE THAN OUR PEERS"         
I have to agree that having been a veteran runner for over 20 years age group comparisons and race position do tend to dominate my evaluations particularly at this time when looking back at the last decade. That's not to say that I don't keep an eye on where younger "rivals" have finished in races or what percentage of the field have beaten me. I do. I was quite pleased to finish in the top 50 of 387 at Great Langdale 10K, for example. But comparisons with other 60 year olds are inevitable and offer no simple answers and certainly no easy guide as to the future for any of you younger readers, I'm afraid.  The most memorable statement ref. aging and declinine in performance came from Gerry Spink of Bingley Harriers.  He was an incredible veteran runner at his best. For example, in 1985 he ran 56.33 for 10 miles as a M50. He "warned" me that I would peak then slow down by 30 seconds per year for a 10k as the years rolled by.  Of course, he will have said that to many younger runners and had a whole array of reactions.  Some of the very best, particularly international class, are not prepared to finish down the field and even if they don't stop running, they stop racing.  If they have no chance of an outright win they don't want to compete.  Think Ovett, Coe, Foster, Bedford, Cram etc. etc. and so many local top flight runners I've battled with over the years at Sale, Bingley and Valley Striders, no longer competing. Then again, I have seen many rekindle the flame  and make amazing comebacks. Refreshed and revitalised they return to perform better than ever.  Hardly a supervet I agree, but Andrew Pearson of Longwood is a fine example of this; back illuminating  the West Yorkshire distance scene.
       Several top veterans of today are actually running almost as well as they have ever done. Presumably, either retirement or grown up families or divorce(!) enabling them to devote more time than they had been able to previously.  Then there are the very late starters. I don't mind being beaten by guys with a great pedigree, even those who I use to beat like Chris Gill, Ben Grant or Alan Hudson of Wesham but have to think how good some guys could have been when they are the winning M60 category and setting PBs.!  generally they have come from a successful career in another sport like cycling.   Sadly, there are also those who are no longer with us. Including, my best friend and former Valley Strider, Hilary McEwan  who is dearly missed and, of course, Ken Moss who I wrote about yesterday.
As for me,  I think 9 years of the last decade went very much as old Gerry had predicted.  In 1999, at the age of 50 I had slowed to 34.58 at Salford 10K (from a best of 31), 58.31 for Thirsk 10 and 76.16 for the half.  2008, saw me running a 40 minute 10K, 66.49 for 10 and 88.54.  So much as one might have expected. But the last year of the decade in comparison has seen a decline in the decline!  Semi-retired and enjoying my training more than ever, I certainly don't want to take a break.   It's not as is I'm still running 70,80 or 90 miles per week.  Perhaps those lads who I was racing shoulder to shoulder with 10 years ago are not living the life of sex, drugs and rock and roll that I am.  Perhaps cut out the rock and roll.  
No,  with a greater commitment to self and a tweaking of the weekly routine  I am convinced that the slide can be halted in 2010.   Meanwhile, I give thanks that I am in a postion to be able to sit here and do this review and discuss the future. So many others aren't.   And finally, that anti-fatigue moisturising lotion that Pat bought me for my birthday is really working . Just look how young I look in this recent photo!

1 comment:

  1. I think you have kept going because you seem to enjoy the training and competing so much. To some runners the hard training is a means to an end and they want to win every race - so would not even consider running as a vet. They then struggle to motivate with training when the decline hits. As far as I know nothing has been invented that will stop this decline(if I am wrong let me know what it is!). However, there are still some exceptional vets out there doing some amazing times, but even they have had to forfeit a few minutes from their best times.

    I don't think I will try and predict my times for M50 just yet. I know I would more than happy with a sub 35 10k.

    ReplyDelete