Saturday 2 January 2010

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO ME!

     As U.S. President wrote in his letter to B.H. Latrobe in 1818,                 "Of all the faculties of the human mind that of memory is the first which suffers decay with age"    But no matter how much we try to forget birthdays, particularly at the age of 61, someone near and dear to us will burst into the bedroom with an arm full of cards and presents.  I say armfull, more like a handfull!  I look forward to reading Paul Scholes's autobiography as he's from the same part of Manchester as myself.  Saw the New Year in and started the birthday in the Lakes which was already snow bound. As with most places, the  main roads were cleared but side roads and pavements still had inches of compact ice and were highly dangerous particularly for hundreds of visitors to Lake Windermere.

With the forecast of more snow to come we decided to make our escape whilst we could. Not before we had had a visit from some friendly "deer" neighbours!

We enjoyed a good journey back whilst hearing on the radio about  horrendous conditions to the west of us in Lancashire and to the east of us in the Northumberland. For today's run I jumped out of the car  at the top of Addingham and  ran the last 6 miles into Ilkley.   And finally......
Another U.S. President John Adams 1797-1801 wrote on age
"I have lived in this old and frail tenement a great many years: it is very much dilapidated ; and from all that I can learn my landlord doesn't intend to repair it"  
Which I think basically means look after yourself because no one else is going to do it for you!   Enough now. I'm off to use another present from Pat. L'Oreal Man Expert Hydra Energetic Daily Anti-Fatigue Moisturising Lotion with Vitamin C.  I think she thinks it'll make me into a "toy boy"

6 comments:

  1. Happy birthday Terry - keep on running...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Andy. As I always say....you brush your teeth, your brush your hair, you go for a run. It's what you do every day! Have a great 2010!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday old boy! They gave a sample of that moisturiser away in the Paris Marathon goodie bag last year. Nice after a shave.

    Have a good 2010.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy birthday!
    I just came across this blog when i was looking for info on sale harriers because I'm thinking about joining, just 1 question:
    Can anybody join the club or do you have to be good?
    because I'm 15 and i haven't trained before. I hope you don't mind me asking...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi anonymous! Good to hear from you and that you are interested in joining one of the UK's top clubs. That shouldn't put you off however.
    Joining a running club today is open to anyone;it is not likely being asked to play for Manchester United. I would like to think that you would be made very welcome and well looked after, such that you could achieve your true potential. Why not email me
    terrylonergan@clara.co.uk
    directly telling me more about yourself, your athletic intersts etc. and then hopefully I can guide you to the right people to talk to at the club. There are severaal training venues and several coaches. Unfortunately, the club website is being reconstructed at the moment so you may not be able to found out what you need
    from that source. Hope to hear from you again.
    Best of luck, Terry L.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Terry

    Interesting blog.....

    I'm just about to go out and do some more snow shovelling here in Nobleton, Ontario Canada. I'm hoping to set a personal best of under 30 minutes (Snow shovelling that is). I'm glad we don't get as much snow here as you do in the frozen wastes of the UK.

    Just wondering who owns the spectacular body positioned under your head in that birthday photograph ?

    JohnC

    ReplyDelete