Monday 11 January 2010

THE YEAR FOR MO EFFORT?

Toed the line for my run this morning with some of the great 5K track stars of the 1980s.  Dave Moorcroft,Said Aouita , Tim Hutchings, Marcus Ryffel, John Walker etc. I stuck the video 16 DAYS OF GLORY in the slot to ease the burden of time on the treadmill. It's the STORY OF THE 1984 LOS ANGELES OLYMPICS. This official film started with the background to DAVE MOORCROFT'S appearance at the games. How, having set the World Record for 5000 metres on the track in Oslo (7th July 1982), (13.00.41) he was then beset with injuries before the games. The film shows him easily making the final but that race resulted in a reoccurence of a chronic pelvic injury.  As Said Aouita flies away to win gold in 13.05.5 (Olympic Record) Dave Moorcroft is shown valiantly limping on to avoid being lapped by the Moroccan.......which he does,  to the consolation of family and friends watching.....and his World record remained intact!  It's no longer standing of course.  But hard to believe that it is still the British record.....from 1982!!  Is this the year we'll see MO FARAH (seen here proudly wearing his Fastrax club vest!) step up to the mark and go under 13 minutes. Judging by the problems  young MO has had in his last 2 cross country races I would hesitate to put money on it.  Finishing concerningly distressed in Edinburgh at the weekend  I would certainly be considering asthma as a possible problem. But what do I know, I'm sure he has a very good team behind him looking into what's happening.  Me?  Well I  felt  I was running just as fast as Said Aouita............just puzzled it took me twice as long to complete the 5k!!?

No comments:

Post a Comment