Monday 17 September 2012

After BOGGART CHASE 10K...I'M TURNED "PROFESSIONAL"

              PRIZE WINNING SALE HARRIERS AFTER THE 2012 BOGGART CHASE 10K
 One of the first people I chatted with having arrived at Boggart Hole Clough track for the BOGGART CHASE 10k  was M60 category leader in the Manchester Parks GP series, FRANCIS DAY.  So his presence and  the nature of the course with its 5 hills meant one clear option for the morning was to run conservatively and ensure there were no calf strains or hamstring pulls.  Just run to secure the points.
 But that option wouldn't have given me the chance to compare 2011 and 2012 times: so for the 4th consecutive week, unusual for me, it would be another 100% effort.   An effort largely spent trying to claw back  the time lost in the first  two miles to several faster starters including Sale Harrier teammates,  JACKIE CORDINGLEY and LYNDA ROWLINSON even though I had consciously tried to start faster than in 2011 and not be overly cautious.
 Following two+ laps of the track and a thrash out of the park down Charlestown Road we swing back into the park, lose height rapidly and are then faced with the first tough ascent back to the track.   The ladies are in front still plus  3 young, strong looking lads from Manchester Frontrunners.
On a cool, damp and blusterly day the large well established trees provide welcome shelter as we recover with another descent but then endure a pull up again to the 5K point.  It would appear I'm ahead of last year's 5K time.
 I've made some progress in the recovery chase but it's on the 3rd very steep hill that those in sight appear to be suffering and pleasingly I start overtaking.   As we pass by the track to start the last lap I've passed the ladies,  one of the Manchester FR lads and continue the chase after the other two,  LEE MARJORAM and LUKE WOOKEY with  Middleton Harrier COLIN CARTER visible in the distance.   It's proving a very hard task as the younger runners  breeze down the descents running freely; in contrast  my short tight strides restrict me greatly.  I certainly don't want to pull a hamstring  after 8K!
 But once again the  Manchester lads don't seem to like the steep ascents at all. I pass them and offer  encouragment but perhaps one running carrying an iPhone doesn't help!   
 The Middleton runner has equally suffered and as I reach the gate to the track I'm thinking "mission accomplished". 
   BUT the two young guns aren't  going to give this grey old wrinkly the satisfaction and inspired by the sight of the finish line 100 metres away,  from who knows where,  LUKE and COLIN  both muster up a massive degree of  extra energy and leave me well and truly for dead!.    Shame the race didn't finish at the top of a hill.  
  Last year I ran 45.52, the race run at the end of a week totalling 41 miles.  This year  my timing shows 44.54  at the end of an easy week's running. So the race programme followed by a "taper" seemed to pay off.  
 I won't say how much  I won for second in race category in case the tax man reads this  (which being cash  now makes me a "professional"  runner by definition and presumably disqualifies me from running in the RIO de Janeiro
Olympics!?) plus a nice cheque for 2nd in the Grand Prix  but let's just say it was enough to enter one of those "Great" races which charge £55(?)(whoops!)
  There was a constant stream of category winners from our Sale Harriers picnic table at the presentation, as can be seen from the picture above.
DON GEORGE, BRIAN BRADSHAW,LYNDA ROWLINSON,the spectacularly improved JAN NICHOLLS, JENNY MILES, JACKIE CORDINGLEY, FRANK CORDINGLEY , JERRY SMITH and LAUREN DAVIES.
 The race was won by MOHAMMED ABU-RAZEQ in 32.50.  In recent 10Ks he has run under 31 mins.  An indication of the challenging nature of the course.  First lady was 21 year old Salford runner NINA MC ARTHUR who ran 39.54 who coped with the hills extremely well winning by over a minute.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you'd an enjoyable and satisfying race in good company on a challenging course. Wish I could hit your sort of times again!
    Well done Terry!

    ReplyDelete