Wednesday 22 June 2011

TRACK SESSION...with help if necessary

I WASN'T FEELING GREAT TODAY SO I ARRANGED FOR  ASSISTANCE TO BE ON HAND THROUGHOUT THE TRACK SESSION......only kidding, actually it was somewhat unnerving, but at the same time reassuring,  when going through a track session in which the heart rate is at or near maximum to have a rapid response North West NHS ambulance vehicle parked up trackside.
 Once again,as happened a fortnight ago, no sooner had I parked up to start the warm up than the heavens opened ; right on cue.  But I patiently waited and managed a warm, dry session if just a tad blustery.
So much for "flaming June".
 I wouldn't normally undertake a track session 48 hours after Monday's 12 mile effort but I'm booked in for the Platt Fields 10K on Sunday and  thought I'd give it a go today to be able to enjoy  3 rather than 2 easier days. 
   The planned session was 12 x 300  in 75s ;  20.50  an ambitious 5K pace for me.
 From the off  I felt flat footed , heavy with sore hamstrings and a worrying pain at the top of the right leg. Not good at all. 
   76  for the first  rep , 75 for the second. On target but it was ugly!   The discomfort in the right leg was still a concern; hence 76, 76, 77 and a 76 for the others to half way in the session.
 I  kept looking at the rapid response ambulance throughout wondering if the driver was thinking what a silly old b***** was doing on the track.
 Very tempting to call it a day at this point doing  just another 2 for 8 reps.  But  very often in training and racing we have to ask ourselves to dig a bit deeper, question our resilience and  our resolve.  The question I was asking was would my "rivals" give up at this point?  Not the ones that always beat me. 
  So I ploughed on and the second half actually exceeded expectations;  as is so often the case with me.   The legs were becoming looser, less sore and whilst I wasn't exactly flying  I accelerated to
  75   75  75  73  72 and final  71 !   Lesson being  persevere when things don't start off too well, dig a bit deeper and things can be turned around.
  I  passed the ambulance walking back to my car and couldn't resist jokingly thanking the driver for being on  hand  throughout the session.  Although it was bit of a case of tempting fate! 
  A  very  pleasant, attractive young lady replied that watching me do the session had helped an hour or so pass by quickly as she had had no emergency calls to respond to.  She explained how 999 calls would first be answered in Preston in 8 seconds. If not someone in Glasgow might then respond and send her to her next patient. Interesting.

2 comments:

  1. Well done on persevering with the track session Terry. I hope the legs aren't complaining too much today. I'm fitting in two "speed" sessions this week in prep for 5k next Wednesday, the 2nd of which will possibly be on the track at Boston you found for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terry the language you use is important, along with realism and being honest with yourself.
    Do I feel discomfort or do I actually feel pain?
    That is crucial in the decision making process of persevering or knocking the session on the head.

    I regularly creek and twinge when starting out, but loosen up and and get into flow before too long.
    Being honest and reading your body signs, helps you to progress, rather than two steps forward and one back, because of chronic or persistent pain and injury.
    Dave

    ReplyDelete