Friday 13 November 2009

SHARING THE SUNSET


Many customers over the years have said that they never run on holiday. Once they are out of their nornal routine and have to be more involved with their family, their running takes a back seat. Going back to the holidays of the '80s and '90s abroad I would train in the morning, "the punishment run"
I used to call it paying for the previous night's excesses, and then run  again in the evening.  On several occasions I would run to some isolated spot and witness a fabulous sunset and think, "why don't more people run so they can share such natural pleasures and witness such spectacular scenes".

 Well today they do. Thousands more people are running and experience such highs in so many varied ways. 

Yet,  again in the magazines this week the debate still goes about how standards are not what they were, how so much faster we all were in the '8os...blah, blah, blah.  I know I frequently point this out to people but I am always quick to say I think it's tremendous now that so many people are enjoying a sport which has given vetetrans like myself so much pleasure over the years.  Enjoying running .at what ever level, whether they race or not, whether they race quickly or not.  So many more able to share the sunset!  It would be great of course if the peak of the pyramid reached what it was back then whilst the base continued to widen.
But that's the problem the likes of Ian Stewart has to sort out but I don't think it will happen before 2012.

Today's  run as planned was short and easy, to "rest" before another hard couple of days. However, the
remainder  of the day wasn't too restful ....(even missed my  afternoon's nap again!)........covering at Nelson on shop,but I still get a "buzz" meeting people coming in, talking running and sorting out gear for them to enjoy the sport.  There again tomorrow.............but I should be able to sneak out to get a track session in.
Which should be fun in the gales which are forecast.  My thoughts will be with Running Bear who will be thrashing around a cross country course representing England.  Let's hope all goes well!

No comments:

Post a Comment