Friday 6 November 2009

THE GREEN, GREEN GRASS.......EASY, PEASY??

Entry on the training sheet says....EASY JOG ON THE GRASS.....4.  In reality four miles on a wet, windy, dark night jogging around the conbined fields of Ben Rhydding Hockey Club and Ilkley G.S. proves the hardest run of the week.  Music from the phone helps but I did think I'd rather be playing football with the kids on the all weather.  Still  Wednesday and Thursday were quite hard days and with another two solid sessions planned for the weekend, needs must as they say.

Thoughts on the jog went back to an article in Athletics Weekly this week on the Welshman Steve Jones.  Did you know.....he still holds the British marathon record with his 2:07:13 from 1985.....not a lot of people know that!  Now based in the U.S. he "has" one of "5 or 6" development marathon groups. He says he tries to inspire them but " I don't bring great coaching......there's no science involved, no Garmins, no heart rate monitors, no cross training. It's all pure running. The science comes at the end , not at the beginning"

So there's no science.......but it comes at the end.?????   I think he means that he works with athletes based on his personal , what I call aquaintance knowledge, of having been there and done it.  You set targets..run towards them.......perform.....evaluate....(what he calls applying the science at the end)....then go again working towards the next target, (the next marathon in the '80s!) readjusting the training accordingly.   Did he say that or was that me putting my slant on what said! 

It's very clear with marathon running.  You choose a marathon as a major aim,  you choose shorter races as
objectives towards that aim, you plan and execute your training,  run the race,  succeed or fail, evaluate then go again, readjusting your training if you can pinpoint the problems.  I think I've just talked myself into running
another marathon....................!!!!!!!!  

No comments:

Post a Comment