Sunday 22 November 2009

ANOTHER MARATHON COMPLETED!!!

Hard to believe with my love of detail I know,  but writing Friday's blog entry I was forced to check my records for marathons run and found I'd missed one I completed in October 1983, the Leeds!  So without months of training, without breaking sweat and without running a single step I've added a marathon to bring the total to 26. 

Anyway, another funfilled, action packed weekend draws to a close. Kicked off Saturday with a mainly flat offroad 6 miler to leave training/ racing options open for today. Options becauseI wasn't sure how I'd feel after a wedding later in the day or indeed whether we'd wake up today to heavy  rain and gales as forecast for parts of the country.

Well, the wedding (the daughter of a friend) was a wonderful occasion. A beautiful service in Rawdon followed by a splendid meal and very entertaining speeches at the very tastefully renovated Mansion House in Roundhay Park. Cautious with the alcohol and taking in plenty of water for a change.


So with no sign of rain we set off for Preston to run the BEST 5K around moor Park based at Preston N.E.
football ground. The torrential rain hit us at Clitheroe! But persevered with the plan and lined up with 256 others in welcome dry conditions to tackle the flattish traffic free course. Underwater in a few places but only added a few seconds to our times. My Garmin is set to miles and showed good consistency with 6.42 6.48 and 6.47 but puzzled that the course itself was mile marked in miles as well. Amazing for a 5k in 2009.

I was then looking forward to getting straight back for a nice restful afternoon. But stopping off in Skipton to refuel we both got out of the car with the keys in the ignition and as Pat filled up the car "passively" secured itself!  With a wait of over 90 minutes for the RAC man to come i eventually decided to go for a jog of anoyther 5 miles to stay warm. So 56 miles on the week but I'd have settled quite happily for 51 and an earlier hot bath.  Glad to get the race in though. I certainly couldn't have summoned up that pace doing a 3 mile tempo run by myself.   2nd M60  but as my dear wife Pat managed first F60!  Today's picture is of her first.......only appearance on a tartan track in the Alan Robertshaw Memorial relay at Sports City Manchester in 2007.

No comments:

Post a Comment